Sunday, June 21, 2009

happy daddy's day!

since today is fathers day i feel it is only appropriate to do a post about my amazing father.
my dad is such an amazing guy. he is truly one of my best friends. our relationship cannot be explained so that another person might be able to understand it. we don't even understand it. he is the person that i am at conflict with the most and also the person that i love the most. see it doesn't really make sense does it? though sometimes i swear he just tries to make my life harder, he knows me better than i even know myself. he was the mother figure in my life growing up and taught me the basics of how to read, how to tie my shoes and how to ride a bike. the most important thing i think he ever taught me was to not give up on anything that i do and that to be the best at something means working harder than everyone else. those principles have changed my life and have shaped me into the girl i am today. he would never really help me out all that much growing up and as strange as it sounds, i am so thankful for that. i remember we would go dirt biking and would get to a really big, scary hill and i would just sit at the bottom on my motorcycle and bawl my eyes out cause i was so scared to go up it, i just wanted him to do it for me. but he never would. he would just sit there at the top of the hill encouraging me as i got up the courage to try it. and if i crashed he would help me bring the bike to the bottom of the hill again so i could try to make it to the top yet again. even now.... this is just a small example but i was changing the oil the other day in my car and i couldn't get the nut loosened to get the oil out. i was having such a hard time and was so frustrated cause i felt like i wasn't strong enough to get it loosened myself, i kept telling him i couldn't do it and i needed him to do it, but he kept insisting that i keep trying. well, it took me longer than it should have, but finally i got it off.
i wish i had spent less time worrying about my dad embarrassing me and more time goofing off with my dad. he has taught me so much about love and relationships. he taught me that it is okay to cry when you are sad and express your emotions when you have them. not many people know this, but i am so horrible at matching clothes so i take my dad shopping with me and he helps me pick out my clothes!
my dad really is my best friend and i wish i could say we got a long 100% of the time, but we don't. that doesn't mean i love him any less and i know he would say the same about me. he has always been there for me when i needed him, even when we haven't been on the best terms, i know i can count on him if i really need him.
i love my daddy.

No comments: